I just ran some reports and it looks like my sensor average for the month was 133 mg/dl. While I remembered things being really great at the end of February, my actual 30 day average for Feb was 132 mg/dl. So, really, with the good and bad all averaged together, things are roughly the same.
My sensor data says that I have been:
26% above 110 mg/dl
73% between 70-110 mg/dl
1% below 70 mg/dl
My standard deviation (SD) indicates how much swinging I'm doing and it shows 34.9, meaning that my range of deviation is about 35 points around my target. This is okay, but when I get things as tight as I want, I hope to see my standard deviation in the 20s. Some people think this number is more important than the sensor average.
General observations from March...
- I was thinking and blogging that daily consumption Yerba Mate tea was behind my best days. I'm not totally sure that it was the sole player now. I have drunk it every day for the last 3 weeks and still had some high-ish and unpredictable days. I think the main player might have actually been insulin sensitivity caused by regular exercise. The week that I blogged about it was right at the end of a very consistent 2 weeks of daily exercise, strength training and sprinting. I think my muscles were metabolizing more glucose, and causing my levels to hang lower. More recently, with less exercise, I've been seeing a need for more insulin and numbers averaging higher. Lesson learned.
- During Spring Break I have found that my AM dawn phenomenon is always focused around the time I drink my 2 cups of strong coffee, regardless of wake up time. I have learned that if I bolus .5 units for it, I can keep my AM numbers pretty flat. Before I figured that out, I was trying to do it with a basal change, but it was too slow to do the trick. Now, my basal still accounts for DP, but I'm having less lows later from it being too aggressive.
- One thing that I think is good... I'm seeing a bit faster response to insulin. When I give a correction bolus I am often seeing change happen within 40 minutes. I also find that when I am closer to the target range, things are more responsive.
- Chicken seems to be the protein that gives the biggest glucose spike. I'm still having a hard time timing my insulin to match different types of protein and their effect on my BG. I have started to use the square bolus and dual wave bolus, but can't say that I have have it worked out perfectly yet.
Caveat: One thing that may have impacted my numbers is that I realized that the box of sensors I was using were expired and I wasn't getting very accurate data from them. I stuck (pun intended) with 2-3 sensors from that box, but found that they would be pretty far off at times. When I switched to a box with a valid expiration date I started getting fairly predictable results again. I had found that both highs and lows were sometimes undetected because of faulty sensors, but, because I didn't trust them, I usually caught them quickly with meter tests.