Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Testing, testing, 1,2,3... maybe 4?

So, I'm on holiday break from teaching and it seems like a good time to follow up with the heart arrhythmia tests. Today I'll get my Holter monitor for 24 hours. When I give it back tomorrow they'll put me on a treadmill and do a sonogram of my heart thumping away (also known as a stress test). Then, later tomorrow night, I'll show up at the local sleep clinic to do a sleep study. And finally, the order has been put in for me to get a CT scan of my sinuses... my ongoing headaches and and erratic glucose control are pointing to some sort of infection continuing on in my head. If that doesn't turn up anything, I'm headed to the dentist. By the time I return to work I will have run the doctor/testing gauntlet and hopefully will come out more enlightened and feeling better...

And what's the worst of it? Yeah, only the unpredictable blood sugars... that's one thing that helps me feel like I understand what's going on. It's also the thing that tells me something is wrong. It's been off for so long, I almost forget what it was like, back in August-October when everything was smooth and predictable. Right now my average glucose is 162, which has steadily risen in the past months. If I didn't have a CGMS I could not have navigated these past months, my results would have been much worse.

I'm re-reading Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and it clearly says that when you experience something like I have been (totally erratic glucose), even without the headaches, you should head straight to the dentist. I'm pretty sure that he's right. I'll find out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment