Monday, November 2, 2020

Aha! Manual Mode was more effective on 11/1

 Yesterday I tried manual mode during the day again, and it gave me quite good results. It was a busy day with quite a bit of activity cooking and doing yardwork. I found I had to eat some pumpkin pie a few times, because the basal rate for manual mode was too much for an active weekend day. However, all said and done... I was in range all day, used less insulin than usual, and didn't have any problems keeping my blood sugars close to normal.

Here are the stats for the day: 

90% in target range, 7% below range (pumpkin pie time), 0% above range, TDD 47.3, Basal 34 units 73%, Bolus 12 units 27%, Total Carbs bolused for 65grams, Correction boluses 2.5 in 3 corrections, Sensor average 124 mg/dL, Standard Deviation 0

See, to me it's interesting that to achieve a real average of 124 mg/dL you have to do something totally different than have a pump trying to keep you at 120 mg/dL. If I had my basal right adjusted for the activity, I probably could have used 40 units of insulin instead of eating pie. But, the pie was delicious, and I rarely eat it when I should, so it worked out well. I also had 2 slices of pizza with dinner, bolused correctly for them and took a walk to help my insulin match up. That was successful as well. I think a day with less carbs could run 37 units, and have me a lot closer to the amount of insulin I was using 10 years ago. 

I have found that switching between Auto Mode and Manual mode is pretty easy. All I have to do is put in a BG reading right when I switch back to AM. At night before I go to bed, I calibrate my sensor and put the pump back into AM. 

Today, I will see if the manual mode basal rate will be right for a day at work. If I bounce along the bottom of the low range, I'll definitely adjust it. Being lowish at work is a little panicky. I'll keep some sweet tarts on hand (just adjusted my manual mode basal rate to 30 units from 34). Right now my basal rate is a flat rate all day. So, there could also be some tweaking of that as well.

2 comments:

  1. This is Dad...
    Very interesting to read about your 'manual' mode experiments! I don't have a pump, so I am always in 'manual mode'. I use 18U Lantus basal dose every morning, then inject Humalog during the day as needed for carbs or to control rises. I find that my control varies a lot, depending I guess how I am in other areas of health, sleep, exercise, etc. Last Sunday I was fasting and only needed 3U of Humalog, other days 9 or 10 and somedays 18! For me a big factor is drinking coffee... This AM my glucose went from 130 up to 180 right after morning coffee! Part of that was the dawn effect, but I need to be more pro-active in the mornings. I will be in-range for days sometimes, then get stuck bouncing out of range repeatedly. I'm sure there is a cause for these events, but sometimes it is hard to know exactly what factor is primarily affecting it. Our keto diet eliminates some of the variables, but not all. For me, exercise is very important and is sometimes seems to be the thing which effects control of my glucose levels, even more so than insulin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something I should add is that my inPen keeps track of my doses, including the Lantus, which it asks me at the scheduled dose time. So I can always tell how much active insulin I have and total for the time/day.

    ReplyDelete