Monday, October 15, 2012

Yeah, I'm doing this...

I post pure text too often, so here's a personal photo. It's me.
 I'm taking a lead from Michael Aviad, who is answering the GLU questions on his blog over at ASweetLife.org. I think it's pretty interesting to learn how others live with diabetes.

I've been a member of the GLU online community for a few months. It is specifically set up for Type 1 diabetics. I'm mostly active because I enjoy answering the polls they post each day. I use the iOS app and just open it up and answer the questions every day or two. It is pretty quick, but since I don't like typing much on my phone, I hardly ever add comments to the answers. However, I think it's pretty amazing to see 200+ people weigh-in on a topic. I'm going to comment further here. 

Oct. 9th: Would you donate a blood sample for Type 1 diabetes research? 
Yes. 
I have never been part of a clinical trial, but I have gone through the arduous and worthwhile process of having my kids tested for auto-antibodies (they were negative!) through Diabetes TrialNet.

Oct. 10th: Do you celebrate your day of diagnosis? 
No. 
I do not. 
Through my blog, I celebrate the fact that diabetes has had a profound impact on my character, and my approach to health and life. But, it's not a dia-versary or anything like that. I don't actually know the day that I was diagnosed. I know it was roughly 27 years ago in the late-summer of 1985.

Oct. 11th: Do you ever check the blood sugar of your friends and family? 
Yes.
My kids sometimes ask me to test their blood sugar, and I sometimes do it.
Several months ago I tested everyone in my family's blood sugar at the same time. It was really interesting to see how much variation there is in the non-diabetic experience (85-142 mg/dl). Some really solid days I might even have tighter control than non-diabetics I know.

Oct. 12th: Have you ever had to deliver or receive a Glucagon injection? 
No.
I am happy about this. I have owned about 2 kits in my lifetime, and I currently have a non-expired one in my diabetic supplies cabinet. I'm not sure if anyone in my family or co-workers would be able to administer it. In my immediate family I have 3 diabetics, and I do not think any of us have ever needed injected glucagon. I have discussed this question myself...

Oct. 13th: What makes it challenging to be consistent when checking your BG or taking insulin? 
Nothing. 
Since I use a pump and a CGM I have had much better focus on my blood sugar control. My CGM alerts me when I go up abruptly, and when I hit 150. Usually, this means that I don't get much above that. I eat low-carb, so the spikes are smaller and slower. It's easy to head off a rise before it gets too high.  Before I was using a CGM it was easy for me to get busy teaching, during my work, day and forget to check blood sugar and bolus for meals. I think the CGM has made monitoring and correcting my glucose levels a natural part of my day.

Oct. 14th: If you wake up low in the middle of the night, do you ever wake somebody up so that they know?
No. 
My wife is a light sleeper and she is usually aware when I get up or leave the room. She doesn't always know why I wake up. Usually, a low will trip an alarm on my CGM. My wife is like the "princess and the pea" when it comes to CGM alerts. I wish they would wake me up, but in the end, she's the one that gets alerted. She often doesn't know what type of alert it is, she just wants some un-interrupted sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment