Sunday, January 17, 2021

Endo visit & Metformin

 I met with my endo last Monday and she thought all my data was pretty spot on. My only blood work was an A1c, which was 7.0. My data from CGM showed my time in range at 79%, with an average BG of 154 mg/dL.

I told her that I wanted to use less insulin, lose weight and get tighter control. She said that the targets from the ADA (80% time in range: 70-180 mg/dL) do prevent complications, and that shooting for tighter control isn't necessary, especially if you are getting dangerous lows. 

She's supportive of my interest in better control, however, and she had already prescribed me Lantus for pump breaks. I asked about Metformin and she thought it was a good drug to address insulin resistance, and liver glucose production. I'm taking that in the evenings with dinner now and have seen some reduction in insulin use. I will report more on that as time goes one. I haven't had any of the gastric issues that are possible. 

My total daily insulin for the past several days: 47.5, 46.5, 45, 52.5, 47.5

I had been averaging 53 units when I posted in October 2020, so I think between a commitment to low-carb eating, walking after meals, and taking Metformin I'm seeing reduced insulin requirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment